Site Map  SITE MAP


VMB-613 Squadron Insignia

Marine Bombing Squadron Six-Thirteen



45 Verano Loop

Santa Fe, NM 87508-3151

(505) 466-6549

Front View of PBJ

5 July 2005

Memo To: The 4th of July Celebrants

Received greetings from Cliff and Patsy Dotson and they are both fine.  They are still getting organized in their new home with noticeable daily progress.


Memories of Kwaj brought him to interrupt their great spring weather schedule and think about the relationship that Albert Rothenbach had on everyone in 613.  Albert had a short wave radio which was enjoyed daily by those close by in their barracks.  Radio listening normally ended at lights out, but on the night that the Japanese surrender was to be announced he was allowed to keep his radio on so that all in the area could hear the surrender announcement late in the night.

Cliff woke up shortly before the surrender announcement with the wonderful Kwaj breeze blowing through the barracks quarters.  He noted that many of the barracks buddies were gathered around and sitting quietly around Albert's bunk listening to music that preceded the anticipated announcement.  The song that was being played when he awoke was Sentimental Journey.  Cliff has cherished the memory totality of that moment for all these years and expects to carry that memory to his grave thanks to Albert.

He was wondering if other flight line mechanics, who were billeted in the same barracks, recall the beauty of that moment.  This is how he will always remember with gratitude, Albert Rothenback.

Received a message from Gil Peavey who sends his best wishes and good will to all.  He reported that weather wise it has been terrible in Maine, they had rain for 33 days out of the last 40.  He has had a few medical problems over the years, but is able to work and enjoy life.

In regards to the "8-Ball" he was the Crew Chief, A.J. Rothenbach was the 1st Mech and Harlan Jason was the 2nd Mech.  For a short period, Bill Coffey was also in the crew.

In regards to the plane crash in D.C. he reported that he was sent to Anacostia Air Field, out side of D.C. to salvage a plane that "crashed" (ran off end of runway) and it would have been a 613 plane.

Received greetings from Lloyd McDaniel.  All is fine with them, he has gotten by May and is working on June.

Mac sent along his memories of the accident of April 4, 1944 in Washington, D.C.  He couldn't remember all the details but he and Al Klinke were both scheduled for this flight.  Due to a shuffling of passengers he was pulled from the flight and Al Klinke was left on the crew as the radioman.  He was told that the plane landed and hit a slick spot on the runway and crashed into a small ditch at the end of the runway.  Again if he remembered correctly the plane split just back of the bomb bay.

Frank Carthey sends his wishes to all.  He reported that the Historical Society decided to interview and tape the experiences of the remaining WWII vets while we are still around.  He was interviewed by two high school boys who videotaped their questioning of him for the record.  Frank said that he was surprised by how little today's young people knew about WWII.  Frank said that he was keeping busy with volunteer work and doing New York cross word puzzles.

Vern Beggs sends his regards to all.  They have been involved in getting hurricane roof repairs completed and are evaluating what else has to be touched up on the house. 

In talking to Foster Cummings he mentioned that the June 2005 Leatherneck had a picture of the Cherry Point Base ball team of 1950.  He was wondering if Carmine Nasta was in it and he said that if the picture had more clarity he would know for sure. 

I then called Carmine and he said no he wasn't in the 1950 picture but he was in the 1951 picture of the team and played the entire season.  They had a great season playing all over the area close to Cherry Point and at times even areas farther away.  In addition to a black and white picture of the 1951 team they had one in color.

He received the vote for the Outstanding Play Of The Season.  In one game played around Goldsboro, NC he jumped into the air after a line drive, hit the ball, deflected it upwards, tripped, landed on his back and the ball came down over him and he caught it.  The committee members who were present voted his play of that line drive as the outstanding play of the season and he received an award of a trophy which he still has to this day.

Carmine reminisced about the Kwaj Lagoon and the presence of sting rays and sharks when he decided to enter the water one day.  For sure he made it back to shore in a hurry.  He continues to remain in touch with Walt Matheson, Walt Gravello and Gene Hansen.

Carmine sends his best to all.

Wayne Noble sends regards to all.  Things are going well in their area of Florida, limited hurricane damage from last fall and this years hurricane didn't stay around too long but continued out to sea.   

He mentioned that he wears his VMB 613 Red Shirt and receives compliments from individuals who pay attention to the Marine Corps Emblem and the Squadron VMB 613 above it.  Hopefully all members wear theirs not only to special events but for practically every day wear.

Harlan Jason sends his regards to all.  He said that he is feeling pretty good and takes advantage of getting out to attend some social events.  The latest one that they attended was the high school graduation of a grandson.  At the reception following graduation he had to walk an "extra mile" it seemed, to get to the attendees area.

He made it and sat down to recuperate when the time came to get up and return to the upper level he suddenly realized that he didn't have the physical enthusiasm to make the return walk.  He did make it though but it took longer to get back than it did to get there.

Mike Jacus sends his regards to VMB 613.  Everything continues well with them.  They had a large family members chicken dinner on Fathers Day which was enjoyed by all and there might have been a birthday celebration included.

He has heard from John Peterson who recently returned from a trip to the Lake Tahoe Casino where he visited with his son who is a shift manager in one of the casinos in the area.

He also has heard from Willis Roose who is recuperating from heart surgery.  This has limited his physical activities a little but he still has the energy to move about with some caution.

Nick Bozic says hello and greetings to all.  He feels good but has to watch how we walks around. His hip operation, ankle breakage etc have made his real apprehensive about endeavoring to walk in the outside world.  In the house he is able to move about with confidence but once he gets to the outside world he really has to be super careful.  The cane is a real assist but he has found out that it has to be handled with care to make sure that he doesn't lose his balance.

His daughter is a real help in his outside world endeavors but he tries to limit her efforts because she has a family to concern herself with.  This doesn't make him try to walk where he shouldn't though.

I inquired about the coal industry in PA since he is a former coal company executive.  It was very fascinating listening to the changes that have gone on in the mines over the years.  He gave some comparisons of the under ground work efforts sixty years ago to the work today and it is really amazing how the industry has kept up on technical improvements to increase coal production.  These improvements utilize computerized techniques specifically adapted to coal mining operations.

Robert Yanacek reported that he received some news from Ponape.  Steve Druzak, Deputy Chief of the Mission at the U.S. Embassy in Kolonia, Ponape reported the following on May 25:

"I went up to the site again about three weeks ago - the wreaths are still there.  We had a visitor in to teach hazardous material handling and he was interested in visiting the site, so we brought him up there and walked around a bit.  We went down the slope and located two more of the unexploded bombs - since the visitor had an EOD background, he got close enough to check and it appears that the fuses were gone and the fillers had been removed.  That individual is coming back in a few weeks and may bring along a metal detector, so we might  get a chance to do some more investigations of the site."


Received word that Robert Dorn passed away in April 2005.  He had been suffering from cancer of the lung which spread to his liver.  Robert had been living in Clearwater, FL for the past several years his wife has now moved to Washington to stay with one of her daughters.

The sympathy of members go to the family.


We have added some new items to our website.  The first is the story about John Gavin losing his class ring in the lagoon and having it returned to him by a scuba diver 40 years later.

The second is a Liberty photo taken at Flagler Gardens, Miami, Fl while the squadron was stationed at Boca Chica in early 1943.

The Historical Branch, HQMC asked if they could have a copy of Doctor Scott's video film of Kwajalein.  A copy was sent to Annette Amerman, Historian, and she is going to add it to the VMB 613's official files.  This film will also be shown at their next "All Hands" later this month.

Remember that our new fiscal year started in January 2005.  If there isn't an (04) or higher two digit number appearing after your name on the mailing label on your envelope you should mail a check to us made out to VMB 613 in the amount of $20.00 for payment of dues.

Note: (04) denotes 2004, (05) denotes 2005.  Many thanks to the members who have already sent in their dues checks.


THE LIMITED EDITION COLLECTORS ITEM, the squadron logo hat pin is still available for VMB 613 members and friends.  This pin is an inch in diameter and comes in a pewter finish or gold plated with a hand painted finish.  The colors are similar to the colored logo that was mailed out several months ago. Marine Corps Scarlet Red background, Gold Wings, Black Cannon and Maces.  Plus it is made in America.

Pewter finish logo hat pin - $4.50

Hand painted finish logo hat pin - $5.50

A new item is the license plate frame.  It is a composition material (special plastic) with a red background and gold lettering. The top of the frame has U.S. MARINES and the bottom VMB 613 WWII.  The cost is $5.00 INCLUDING PACKING AND SHIPPING.

USMC Heat Transfer Kit.  Has 6 large insignias and 6 small insignias.  Can use on caps, T shirts or any other cloth item.  These kits are $3.95 each.     

We still have the small VMB 613 number plate for the rear window at $5.00 each.  These now can be ordered with either a WHITE or RED background. 

The regular size VMB 613 license plate complete with mounting hardware is now available on special order for $20.00.

We have a limited number of Red VMB 613 caps, the cost is $10.00 each and are being sold on a first-order, first-serve basis.

These memorabilia items can be ordered from Charlie Knapp.

Please continue the notes or letters all of which help to make the monthly letter more interesting. 

This is all for now.  Stay healthy.

Semper Fi,

Signature of Charles Knapp



For security reasons, changes to the roster are not available on-line.  Please contact Charlie Knapp for address information.


A directory of e-mail addresses for members is available on-line in a password protected area of the site.  Please contact our webmaster to obtain your password. 

Note: Please check your address on the listing and let me know of any required corrections.  Some messages have been returned with a comment "unknown address."


Copyright 2008 Marine Bombing Squadron Six-Thirteen Association.  All Rights Reserved.